Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Ehhee, da-DEE and Whatshername

Blindside is talking. Well, more like pointing and grunting, but if you listen really, really hard and turn your head slightly to the left, the grunts become words. First thing in the morning Harry points at the stairs and grunts "da-DEE" (his voice is very deep which is unnerving after listening to Ellie's staccato vocals for three years). My guess is he mastered this particular skill set because Wes is head-breakfast-maker and chief-sippy-cup-filler, and is always downstairs fulfilling said duties when the chunky monkey wakes up. Combine this with the fact that I've been trying to teach him "Daddy" since he was four weeks old, as should every mother who would rather their child screech "DAAAAAA-DEEEEE" at four a.m. as opposed to the alternative, and I guess I shouldn't have my feelings hurt that the letter "m" is a nonexistent part of his guttural language.

Of course, he picked up sissy's name much quicker than that. On a whim earlier this week I pointed at Ellie and asked him "who's that?" He points and grunts. I say "that's Ellie." Immediately he says "Ehhee, Ehhee, Ehhee, Ehhee"! At first it was just excited recognition, now he's got the intonation down. For example, this morning Ellie pushes him out of the way to play his piano. He grunts, slams his hands down on the keyboard, shouts "EHHEEE" in his Meanest Joe Greenest voice and shoves it away from her. She starts crying, pulls it back, he starts wailing, mass hysteria, cats and dogs living together, and I finish drying my hair. Where's the mute button?

1 comment:

  1. Cracks me up that y'all call Harry "Blindside" ...poor little guy. Or should I say, "poor BIG guy".

    ReplyDelete