Thursday, June 17, 2010

Snozzberries Taste Like Snozzberries

Have you ever seen a blue rasberry?  I'm pretty sure I haven't.  Nevertheless, until I was about 15 years old I thought rasberries were not just blue, but all out electric, not quite smurfy not quite Florida (of course that would be inedible-blech), glowing blue.  I assumed rasberry bushes must be one of the coolest fruit bearing objects on earth.  Bear in mind that raspberries weren't all that plentiful in beautiful downtown Appling, Georgia.  I'm quite certain I didn't see a real raspberry until cheerleading camp my sophomore year of high school where they had the exotic little morsels for sale at the Bolton Hall cafeteria at UGA.  I did not let on that I had no clue what those bumpy little maroon colored yummies were.

My confusion is understandable.  I first encountered "rasberry" flavor in the AstroPops they sold at the ball parks where my mom played softball (don't judge).  Otter Pops boasted a super yummy turquoise version of the flavor that was hawked by Monsieur Louie Bloo.  I think the vaunted Popsicle brand may have flirted with a blue pop at some point as well.  While a cool memory of childhood, I assumed that with all the focus on getting the additives and weird dyes out of our food the mythical blue raspberry would be a thing of the past.  Au contraire mon frere.

Blue, arguably raspberry flavored, frozen water is still alive and well and Harry is addicted.  He loves the things.  Last night he ate 2 whole pops by himself.  He squeezed every last bit of synthetic blue goodness out of those tubes and then reached over to yank approximately half of Ellie's Louie Bloo away from her. 

When all the blue yummy was consumed he sat there in his artifical dye stained clothes with his electric blue hands, mouth and thighs (that's right) and bemoaned the demise of Louie Bloo.


Ahhhhh, childhood.  Sunshine, playgrounds, and Blue Dye #1.  Good times.


No comments:

Post a Comment