Friday, November 5, 2010

Speeding Cookies, Muddled Thoughts and Partial Blindness

Over the past week I have learned that Ellie can use the following phrases in their proper context:

1.  I can't resist (insert favorite food here; for Ellie it's Chicken Fried Rice);
2.  I can't stand (insert most hated food here; for Ellie it's Chicken Fried Rice mommy makes from scratch);
3.  THAT is ridiculous;
4.  I'm not budging on this (when asserting her position that we should eat Chicken Fried Rice for dinner); and
5.  My brain is just all mixed up.

She has also informed us that her mispronunciation of words is just as valid as the alleged correct pronunciation of words.  For instance, the restaurant known as Orient Express is actually Oreo Express.  After explaining what Orient means and linking it to her beloved fried rice, we figured she'd relent, but no.  "Actually, the food is very yummy, like an Oreo, so it's the Oreo Express, and besides, I like saying that more anyway, so it's ok for me to just say it that way."  Maybe next week will discuss the concept of "conclusory statements."

In other, completely unrelated news, I have been concerned Harry is not hitting his milestones.  At his 18 month checkup (29 lbs 10 ounces, 34 inches long, 92% in both) the nurse asked if he could point to and identify his body parts.  I said, "well, no."  She pursed her lips and then gave me an overly broad smile and said that it "was no big deal."  Obviously, I've been drilling him on the position of his eyes and ears and mouth and nose to absolutely no avail.

Until last night.  He starts touching my eye and saying very loudly "EYE."  I would totally overpraise him and get him to do it again and again and again.  Right up until he shoved his chubby little index finger about an inch deep in my eye socket.  It's safe for me to drive with no periperal vision in my right eye, isn't it?  Well, at least he's developing normally.

No comments:

Post a Comment