Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Am I 8?

Harry loves to sing to me in the car on the way to school.  Sometimes it's that "if all the raindrops were lemon drops and gum drops" song, but only because he likes the part where he gets to say "a-ah-a-ah-a-a-ah-a-ah-ah" really, really loud.

He's now picked up the tune to what I learned as Frere Jacques, but which doubles as:  the blessing, that days of the week song, and, of course, Where is Thumbkin.  That last one is going to get me in trouble.

For those of you unfamiliar, here's the first stanza (sung to the tune of Frere Jacque, or Brother John for the anti-French):

Where is Thumbkin (hold up your right thumb)
Where is Thumbkin (hold up your left thumb)
Here I am (make your right thumb wiggle up and down as if nodding)
Here I am (ditto for your left thumb)
How are you today sir (more right thumb wiggling)
Very well I thank you (switch to the left)
Run away (right thumb behind your back)
Run away (I'm guessing you've figured out what happens next)

Putting aside the wisdom of singing this song with movements while driving, you repeat the verse with Pointer, Tall Man, Ring Finger (yeah, that's a little much to shove into the verse, I bet there's a real lyric around somewhere), and then Pinkie.  Harry loves it.  Especially the "run away" part.  He's really cute.  I, on the other hand, am a pre-teen boy.

Everytime, and I mean EVERYTIME he gets to tall man I giggle hysterically.  Seriously, there he is, my little two year old, flicking himself off in the back seat.  That's funny right?  Right?  He thinks it's funny.  Well, he thinks something is funny, because he laughs, and does it again and again and again.  Driving to school is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment