Monday, February 13, 2012

Damn You, Pinterest

I was seriously ok with buying cutesy Valentine cards from the local gift store for the kids to pass out to their classmates.  They usually had a craft attached.  They'd become finger puppets or monster mobiles or paper dolls.  They were pricey, well made and, so I thought, unique and creative. 

So why did I just spend 5 hours making this crap:
I'll tell you why.  Because Pinterest told me to.  Pinterest told me all the cool moms were MAKING their kids' Valentines.  You're not trying hard enough if you're not crafting your way through every major freaking holiday.  Want to throw the perfect birthday party?  Better find a set of 100 printables on Pinterest.  Otherwise, you're just a store bought mama.  Hosting an Easter brunch?  Well there's this blog with 14 different egg wreaths, a flower vase stuffed with Peeps (ok, that may be the only legitimate purpose for Peeps) and 17 different Spring inspired recipes to ensure your get together is just the bee's knees.

Therefore, after 9 hours at work dealing with other peoples' problems I rush home to snip, cut, curl and tie my children's way to Valentine perfection.  And it's not just kids' stuff.  I made a freaking magnetic chalkboard wall in my kitchen.  Umm, psst, don't know if you've heard but THEY SELL MAGNETIC CHALKBOARDS AT TARGET!

Don't even get me started about the recipes.  I've got like 300 pinned on my "Food" board.  It's become an obsession.  The thing is, I know I don't have time for this crap. You know you don't have time for this crap.  So why do we continue to do it?  Do you honestly think Susie that sits at the end of the pew from you at church is packing all those ridiculously adorable lunches where everything is cut out in the shape of a seahorse for her kids everday?  Yeah, she did it once, then she lost the damn cookie cutter.  Back to Lunchables. 

You know what?  I'm done.  I'm swearing off Pinterest.  Anything they say I can make, I know I can buy (and for less time, effort, and I'm seriously not kidding, less money-these crafts cost a freaking fortune).  I'm going to go disable my account, right freaking now.  Well, after I find a couple of upholstered headboard tutorials.  We really need a headboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment